Vestigia Coastal & River Archaeology specialises in identifying and managing the effects of development upon cultural heritage under water. Our consultants draw on existing expertise in terrestrial projects to provide both innovative and academically rigorous advice on the protection and understanding of all aspects of our underwater heritage, in projects ranging from large scale strategic studies to small-scale developments. This heritage includes the remains of submerged medieval and prehistoric landscapes and settlements under the seabed, shipwrecks and objects associated with our seafaring past, the remnants of water management structures, industry and transport . Whether at sea, along the coast and foreshore, in rivers, canals or waterways, we adopt a highly practical approach to the diverse requirements of our clients.
Whilst underwater investigative methods and techniques are improving rapidly, not all of these are equally effective for archaeological research. Our in-house team provides objective project design and management advice tailored to each specific situation. We are also able to draw on a wide network of national and international specialist expertise.
Examples of our services and products include
- Desk-based Assessment
- Quickscan and Risk Appraisal
- Historical research and georeferencing of historical maps
- Wreck and obstacle research
- Cultural Heritage Statements for Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA)
- Heritage Statements for planning applications and environmental consents
- Heritage Appraisals for large-scale projects
- Archaeological interpretation of marine geotechnical and geophysical data, including scientific dating and deposit modelling
- Mitigation Plans and Written Schemes of Investigation
- Project management advice and guidance
- Archaeological evaluation and watching briefs in floodplain, riverine, coastal and intertidal zone
- Second opinion and expert witness